Sunday, August 12, 2012

DIY Cleaning Products




Housework is what a woman does that nobody notices unless she hasn't done it. —Evan Esar


I've been investigating switching from store-bought cleaning products, which are potentially laden with toxic chemicals, to more earth-friendly, homemade cleaning products.  I have found some wonderful blogs on DIY cleaning products via Facebook and Pinterest and have tried a few of the products and have to say that so far I like the products better than the store-bought products I was using.  They are cheaper and toxin-free and I can customize the scents by using my favorite essential oils!

Here are a few of my favorites:

From FrugallySustainable: http://frugallysustainable.com/
Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner
Homemade Cleaner for Windows and Mirrors
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner - my favorite is the Soft Scrub recipe which is great for not only toilets, but sinks and pots and pans.  Love this one!

I can't wait to try these products on One Good Thing by Jillee  http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/
Top Ten Favorite Homemade Cleaners

With just a few common ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, borax, liquid castille soap, hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, and essential oils you can make many of the products you currently buy at the store in your own home and save money and be assured that you are using a safer and more earth-friendly product.

I love being able to customize the fragrance by using scented liquid castile soap and essential oils!

Dr. Bronner Liquid Castile Soaps - my favorite scents are lavender and baby mild, but in addition to those two it comes in many different fragrances....peppermint, eucalyptus, almond, rose, citrus, and tea tree oil.

Essential oils:  Lavender, Lemon, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Basil, Peppermint, Sweet Orange, Eucalyptus, Ylang Ylang, Jasmine are some great ones to try in your cleaning product recipes.

You can find the liquid castile soap and essential oils at some grocery stores and at most health food stores.  I buy mine at Whole Foods, Publix, or Earth Fare, but if there is not a store near-by that carries these products you can find them online.


Happy Cleaning!











No comments:

Post a Comment