Sunday, June 2, 2013

Missing Mom










My mom passed away on April 12 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.  We were so blessed to have her for over 6 1/2 years after her diagnosis, but losing her has been really tough. Mom was so much more than just a mother to me.  She was my rock, my best friend, my biggest cheerleader, and encourager and some days I just feel so lost without her.

This morning I was having a really tough time, missing her so much.  I woke up thinking about her as I do most days. Some days it's just so hard to believe that she is no longer here.  I can't just pick up the phone and call her any more. There are just some days where it really hits me so hard!

I decided to go for a walk early this morning because sometimes that helps. As I walking today I could really feel mom's spirit with me.  This pretty little robin kept appearing during my walk.  It would hop along in the grass a short distance away as I was walking, only to fly off and then reappear to hop along with me again. It was almost as if Mom was saying...I'm not here in my earthly body any longer, but my spirit is still with you and you will see me and feel me if you look carefully with your heart.


After my walk, I was looking through my mom's Bible.  It is such a treasure full of all these beautiful glimpses into Mom's heart.  It is filled with personal notes from Mom, Bible verses that were special to her, prayer lists, cards, and devotionals, etc.  The first thing that caught my attention today was this little paper called "This Thing Is From Me...." by Laura A Barter Snow.

This part really spoke to me personally....Are you passing through a night of sorrow?  This thing is from Me.  I am the "Man of Sorrows, and acquainted with grief. " I have let earthly comforters fail you, that, by turning to Me, you may obtain everlasting consolation. (II Thessalonians 2 :16,17)

I'm so grateful that God picked just the perfect mother for me.  Mom was my rock and sometimes I feel so lost without her now.  She was always the person I turned to when I needed comfort or encouragement and I was given such a gift to have this special lady in my life.  But the message I received today was that I need to let God be my comforter.  I need to turn my eyes to Him and trust and depend on Him instead of on Mom.

Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.  Isaiah 26:4



This Thing Is from Me by Laura A. Barter Snow

My child, I have a message for you today; let me whisper it in your ear, that it may gild with glory any storm clouds which may arise, and smooth the rough places upon which you may have to tread. It is short, only five words, but let them sink into your innermost soul; use them as a pillow upon which to rest your weary head: “This thing is from Me.”

Have you ever thought of it, that all that concerns you concerns Me too? “For whoever touches you touches the apple of Mine eye.” (Zechariah 2:8). And “You are very precious in My sight” (Isaiah 43:4).

I would have you learn when temptations assail you and the enemy comes in like a flood that “This things is from Me,” that your weakness needs My might, and your safety lies in letting Me fight for you.

Are you in difficult circumstances, surrounded by people who do not understand you? Who never consult your taste? Who put you in the background? “This things is from Me.” I am the God of circumstances. You did not come to this place by accident; it is the very place God meant fr you. Have you not asked to be made humble? See then, I have placed you in the very school where this lesson is taught. Your surroundings and companions are only working out My will.

Are you in money difficulties? Is it hard to make both ends meet? “This thing is from Me,” for I am your provider and would have you draw from and depend upon Me. “My God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). I would have you prove My promises.

Are you passing through a night of sorrow? This thing is from Me.” Am the the “Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief.” I have let earthly comforters fail you. Turn to Me so that you may receive everlasting consolation.

Has some friend disappointed you? One to whom you opned your heart? “This thing is from Me.” I have allowed this disappointment to come that you may learn that I am your best friend. I want to be the One you confide in.

Has someone repeated things about you that are note true? “This thing is from Me.” Leave them to Me and draw closer to Me. “The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; He is their stronghold in time of trouble” (Psalm 37:39).

Have your plans been upset? “This thing is from Me.” You made your plans and then asked Me to bless them; but I would have you let Me plan for you. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’” (Jeremiah 29:11).

Have you longed to do some great work for Me and instead have been laid aside on a bed of pain and weakness? “This thing is ifrom Me.” I want to teach you some of My deepest lessons. “They also serve who only stand and wait.” Some of my greatest workers are those shut out from active service that they may learn to wield the weapon of all prayer.

Are you suddenly called upon to occupy a difficult and responsible position? “This thing is from Me.: Trust Me. “Those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).
This day I place in your heands this pot of holy oil; make use of it freely, My child. Let every circumstance that would crush you, every word that pains you, every revelation of your own weakness be anointed with it. The sting will go as you learn to see Me in all things.
“ will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them” (Isaiah 42:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment